||Pheasant Flambéed With Cognac
- 4 pheasant breasts, the legs have too many bones - not worth it
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into small wedges
- 1 very big onion, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup Cognac
- Use a big cast iron pan, sauté the breasts in olive oil. Remove from the pan.
- Line the pan with the apples and onion, add pheasant and wine. Cook covered for about 1 1/2 hour on top of stove.
- Flambée the breasts with cognac. Remove breasts from pan and keep warm.
Puree the bottom of pan, i.e. apples, onions etc. and make a sauce. And what a sauce it is!
Filter through a sieve, pour into a saucepan, adjust seasonings and simmer briefly.
- Slice breasts diagonally, arrange on a serving platter and serve. Serve sauce separately.
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: October 12, 2010